John Maughan Jr. 1835 - 1918

John Maughan 1835

John Maughan Jr. born 19-Jun-1835 in the Township of Markham, Ontario. Died 27-Nov-1918 in Toronto. He is buried at either Necropolis Cemetery or St. John's Norway Cemetery, Toronto. Father was John Maughan, mother was Euphemia Janet Stein. Worked for Hartford Insurance as an agent. Married Margaret Eliza Parks on 18-Jun-1863.

  • Mary Emma Janet Josephine (Minnie) Maughan 1864 - 1933
  • Herbert John Maughan 1865 - 1892
  • Florence Maggie Morrison Russell Maughan 1867 - 1916
  • Charles Frederick Maughan 1869 - 1906
  • John M. Maughan (III) 1871 - 1926
  • Harry Maughan 1874 - ?
  • Walter Maughan 1876 - 1961
  • Margaret Eliza Parks (wife)

    Margaret Eliza Parks, wife of John Maughan, died 29-Jun-1908 at 70 years of age. At the date of her death, she and husband John lived at 496 Wellington St. W., Toronto. Margaret died of Bright's disease (an historical classification of kidney diseases that would be described in modern medicine as acute or chronic nephritis) which she'd had for one year. The doctor that singed her death certificate was Edmund W. Spragge. She was buried at Necropolis Cemetery in Toronto on 1-Jul-1908 in section M-76 in a plot owned by her husband John Maughan.

    Mary Emma Janet Josephine (Minnie) Maughan

    Mary Emma Janet Josephine (Minnie) Maughan was born 3-Apr-1864 and died 31-May-1933. Minnie was a spinster and lived with her brother John. She was living at 6 Glen Avon Rd, Toronto at the date of her death, and had lived there for 5 years. The cause of death listed as cervical cancer (10 years duration) along with bladder, pelvic cancer. Her occupation was listed as 'Lady'. The attending doctor listed was A. C. Bennett of 1326 King St. W., Toronto (same as brother John's doctor). She had undergone surgery in 1923 to address the cervical cancer. There was no autopsy. She was found by her sister-in-law Mrs. Gertrude Maughan of Westmount, Quebec. She was buried at Necropolis Cemetery on 2-Jun-1933.

    Herbert John Maughan

    Herbert John Maughan was born circa 1865 and died 14-Sep-1892 aged 26 years. The cause of death was a gun shot injury. The attending doctor listed was was Edmund W. Spragge. He was buried at Necropolis Cemetery on 16-Sep-1892 in section M-76 in a plot owned by his father John Maughan.

    Florence Maggie Morrison Russell Maughan

    Florence Maggie Morrison Russell Maughan was born circa 1867 and died 9-Feb-1916 aged 49 years. Going to school at 1881 census. Married Theodoric Charles Howard originally of Hamilton on 26-Nov-1890. Theo was shown as living in Sutton West in the Township of Georgina, County of York at the date of marriage. His occupation was listed as "merchant". Theo's age at the date of marriage was 27, Florence was 23. Ernest K. Fowler and Minnie Maughan (both of Toronto) are listed as the witnesses. They were married by License and Alex Williams officiated. Florence died at St. Joseph's Hospital in Hamilton. She was living at 92 Markland St., Hamilton at the date of her death. She died of chronic Bright's disease (an historical classification of kidney diseases that would be described in modern medicine as acute or chronic nephritis) which she'd had for three years. The doctor that singed her death certificate was W. J. McNichol.

    Charles Frederick Maughan

    Charles Frederick Maughan was born circa 1869 and died 25-Feb-1906 aged 35 years in Newark, New Jersey. He died of pulmonary tuberculosis. The doctor that attended was P. E. Raughanbach. He was buried at Necropolis Cemetery on 16-Sep-1892 in section M-76 in a plot owned by his father John Maughan.

    John M. Maughan (III)

    John M. Maughan was born 31-Aug-1871 and died 6-Jul-1926 aged 54 years. He was listed as an insurance broker for an occupation on the death register. He died after 5 months of cardial fleuvial insufficiency preceded by 30 years of chronic intestinal nephritis, arterial schlorosis and angina abdominalis. The doctor that attended was A. C. Bennett of 1326 King St. W., Toronto. He was buried at Necropolis Cemetery on on 9-Jul-1926 in section M-76 in a plot owned by his father John Maughan.

    Walter Maughan

    Walter Maughan was born 4-Sep-1876 and died circa 1961. He was a City Passenger Agent for the Canadian Pacific Railway. Walter married Eva Lilian Gertrude Rymal on 12-May-1904 in Toronto, Ontario. When their sons John Walter Maughan and George Burwell Maughan were born they were listed as living at 76 Roxborough St. W., Toronto (the house has been torn down and completely rebuilt as of 2015).

    Mitchell's Directory of Toronto 1864-5

    Mitchell's Directory of Toronto 1864-5

    This edition of Mitchell's Directory lists 3 Maughans. James Maughan is not related as far as we can tell. However John Maughan Sr. is the John Maughan here, born in 1800, and John Jr. is his son born in 1735. They are listed as residing at 13 Windsor Street in Toronto (the site is now occupied by a Toronto Hydro Substation).

    The original houses we torn down somtime in the early 1900's as the area became more commercialized. Machine works, a warehouse and some retail occupied the site until Toronto Hydro constructed a substation.

    There remains a portion of an old brick wall at the south end of the substation that separates it from the parking lot that fronts on Front Street West. This wall is likely part of the building that housed the factory / warehouse that fronted on Wellington Street West.

    Mitchell's Directory of Toronto 1864-5

    What's interesting, given the family history of land surveying, is that John Maughan Sr. and Jr. lived next door to Sandford Fleming. Sandford Fleming was a Scottish Canadian engineer and inventor who promoted worldwide standard time zones, a prime meridian, and the use of the 24-hour clock as key elements to communicating the accurate time. He designed Canada's first postage stamp, left a huge body of surveying and map making, engineered much of the Intercolonial Railway and the Canadian Pacific Railway, and was a founding member of the Royal Society of Canada and founder of the Canadian Institute, a science organization in Toronto. John Maughan Jr. was a member of the Canadian Institute and our Maughans certainly descend from Scottish roots. I will continue to wonder what sort of conversations might have been had over the fence between my ancestors and their neighbour Sandford Fleming...

    The 1842 atlas of Toronto done by Cane shows the Windsor Street area as vacant land. Note that Spadina Avenue is shown as Brock Street, and Wellington Street West is shown as Market Street:

    Toronto 1842

    The 1857 map of Toronto done by (Sanford) Fleming, Ridout and Schriber shows Windsor Street running between Front and Wellington, splitting the block between John and Peter Streets, just to the west of the then Houses of Parliament.

    Toronto 1857

    The 1862 map of Toronto shows how the building lots are now laid out on Windsor Street.

    Toronto 1862

    The 1884 Fire Map of Toronto shows the dwellings and street addresses on Windsor Street.

    Toronto 1884

    1869 Gazetteer

    John Maughan listed as the Assistant Secretary of the Western Assurance Company - Fire, Inland and Ocean Marine Insurance located at the corner of Colborne and Church streets.

    1881 Census

    At the date of the 1881 census an Annie McLean was living with the Maughan family in St. George's Ward, Toronto. Her occupation is listed as servant and she was 16 years of age (born c. 1865)

    1890 Annual Report of the Ontario Department of Agriculture

    John Maughan won a prize for a one year-old Jersey bull named 'Fawn King'

    A History of Ontario - Its Resources and Development

    Excerpted from "A History of Ontario - Its Resources and Development" by Alexander Fraser F.G.S.C., published by The Canadian History Company, 1907, pages 594-596

    'John Maughan, agent for the Hartford Fire Insurance Company at Toronto, was born in the town of Markham, York County, Ontario, June 19, 1835. His parents, John and Janet (Stein) Maughan, were natives of Edinburgh, Scotland. The father was in the commissary department of the army and in 1827 came to Canada as a passenger on a sailing vessel. He was stationed in Montreal and Toronto and after his retirement from the army engaged in the banking business. He died in 1881 at the age of 81 years, having for twenty years survived his wife, who passed away in 1861.

    John Maughan, educated under private instruction and in Toronto Academy, which was connected with Knox College [now part of the University of Toronto], entered upon the study of law in 1851, his preceptor being Sir Oliver Mowat of the firm of Mowat & Helliwell. On the 19th of June, 1852, abandoning his idea of becoming a member of the Bar, he entered the insurance business as a junior clerk for the Western Insurance Company. He was afterwards advanced successively to the positions of bookkeeper, cashier, and assistant secretary under Bernard Haldene. For eighteen years he was in the employ of that company, after which he was appointed manager for the Sovereign Fire Insurance Company and in March 1892 he assumed the management of the Hartford Fire Insurance Company at Toronto. He is widely known in insurance circles, for the entire period of his business career embraces connection with this line of activity.

    Mr. Maughan was married June 18, 1863, to Miss Margaret E. Parks, a daughter of Charles G. Parks of Limerick, Ireland, who came to Canada at an early day and for some time was engaged in the publishing business, but on account of his health retired from that line and turned his attention to farming. Mr. and Mrs. Maughan have become the parents of seven children: Herbert John, who died at the age of twenty-six years; Charles F., who died in 1906 at the age of thirty-six years; John, honorary curator of the Ontario government museum and who is also interested in literary work; Harry, in partnership with his father; Walter, city passenger agent at Toronto for the Canadian Pacific Railway; Mary Janet Josephine; and Florence Russel Stein, wife of Theodric C. Howard.

    John Maughan Alderman

    Mr. Maughan is interested in athletic sports and has a record for duck shooting. As a hunter he is known all over Canada. In connection with David Ward, George Warren and Charles C. Small he has made many expeditions into districts where is afforded excellent opportunity for hunting, these gentlemen making many trips until both Mr. Small and Mr. Warren died. In 1885, in Manitoba, they shot at the foot of Manitoba Lake and in twenty-nine days killed twenty-eight hundred ducks beside a large number of geese. In 1886 they went to Rush Lake in the North-West Territory and in nineteen days killed twenty-six hundred ducks beside a lot of geese. With two others, in 1890, Mr. Maughan shot at Cross and Crow Lakes near Rat Portage and in fourteen days killed over twelve hundred ducks. Hunting has undoubtedly been his chief source of rest and recreation and Mr. Maughan is known throughout the Dominion as a splendid shot. He is also interested in athletic sports and in connection with J. E. Robertson organized the Toronto Rowing Club. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and is a communicant of the Episcopal Church, interested in its various activities and for some years serving as a delegate to the synod. In politics he is independent. He served for two years on the public school board and nine years as alderman, and his official record is characterized by the most unfaltering fidelity to the duties that devolve upon him, while as a private citizen he has co-operated in many movements that have had a direct bearing upon the general welfare. He has, too, a creditable military record. He joined the Fourth Battalion of the York Militia under Colonel Richard L. Denison in 1853 and was one of the regiment who met the King in 1860 when he was Prince of Wales. Mr. Maughan passed the military school and is now retired as captain and adjutant.'

    Land Records

    Research of the records in the Toronto Land Registry Office (formerly LRO 63, now LRO 80) indicates John Maughan's land ownership as follows:
    John Maughan 1835
    Original geographic per Township of York original survey of Lot 8 Concession 1 From The Bay (FTB) was subdivided by Registered Plan 282 (registered 24-Sep-1867) prepared by "Gossager + Wadsworth" PLS's. The title block of the plan includes the following further description: "shewing the subdivision of the property of the estate of William Small Esq. being part of the Berkley Estate". The plan creates a Mill Pond lot ("Small's Pond"), a private lane (now assumed to be Penny Lane) and 8 Parcels varying in acreage:
    John Maughan 1835

    A deed was registered on 6-Apr-1881 as TY12481 from Daniel McMichael to John Maughan for all of Parcel 2 comprising slightly more than 30 acres. The abstracts for this plan are found in Volume 501A. I have reviewed copies of some of the documents hoping to determine family members and vital statistics and still need to check the surrounding parcels of plan 282. Also I will review the abstracts of PLMID 1438 & PLE 515 to determine if / where the Maughan 'house' was. There are a number of deposits which may contain sketches of the lands prior to the registration of PLE 481, which seems to be the remainder of John's land sold off for subdividing.

    The private lane, now known as Penny Lane, was just north of Queen Street East on the northwesterly side of Kingston Road in Leslieville. The land was owned by John Maughan, however it was the subject of a lawsuit between John Maughan (plaintiff) and Vincenzo Casci (defendant) that became a landmark decision Maughan v. Casci related to easements and rights-of-way. The case is fully described in an Ontario Reports account.

    Reference in his will (GC29420 registered 14-Mar-1919) is specifically made to the 'Wellington Street property' which the executors were to 'fully consider the merits of disposing of, as there may be a future rise in value'. I believe this refers to the property at 98 Wellington Place, which by the 1940's had been renamed Wellington Street West. I do not suppose the property at 28 Wellington Street East would have been in fact owned by John, however I will endeavour to discover this as time permits. However it may be a reference to 496 Wellington St. W. where he and his wife Margaret were living at the time of her death 10 years earlier in 1908.

    Janet Stein Maughan and Euphemia Russell Stein Maughan, his older sisters, are dead by this time (1888 and 1899 respectively). His older brother Robert is not mentioned either, since he had been lost at sea. John's eldest two boys, Herbert J. Maughan and Charles F. Maughan, predeceased him and no mention is made of their "issue", leaving one to think they never married.

    The bulk of the estate is split into four shares, 2 going to daughter Minnie and 1 each to son John and son Walter. Harry's three boys are left sums of money (nothing for daughter-in-law Eleanor though, must have been on the outs) and no other mention is made of Harry.

    Two other curiosities are found in the will: $200 is left to the 'Home for Incurables' should his estate realize the sum of $70,000 after the debts are paid and the probate is granted by the court on the condition that no portion of the estate's assets can be distributed to beneficiaries or creditors who are German, Austro-Hungarian, Turkish or Bulgarian subjects without the sanction of the Crown. It was, after all, WW1.

    98 Wellington Place is part of Lot 13 in Section F of the Military Reserve Plan in the City of Toronto. Ownership records are detailed as follows:

  • OB611 - Grant - 14-Jan-1869 - to John Maughan Jr. Esq. (being the westerly 40' of the lot).
  • OB1269 - Mortgage - 17-Jul-1869 - to Western Assurance Company.
  • OB2749 - Grant - 11-Jul-1870 - to John Maughan Sr. Esq. (being the e 23' of the w 40').
  • GC14427 - Will - 25-May-1882 - John Maughan Sr. - executrixes, daughters Janet Stein Maughan and Euphemia Russell Stein Maughan.
  • SW3822 - Grant - 25-May-1882 - estate of John Maughan Sr. to John Maughan Jr.
  • OG10394 - Grant - 14-Mar-1891 - estate of Janet Stein Maughan to John Maughan Jr.
  • WF1018 - Grant - 9-Jun-1917 -